Making Meat Burekas
Bureka meat filling:
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 teaspoon oil
- 2 lbs ground meat
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup water 4 oz
- ½ cup rice
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- Glaze chopped onions in oil.
- Add meat until browned.
- Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add rice and water, then cover and let simmer about 20 minutes or until the rice is done.
- Add chopped eggs and parsley
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Drain excess oils with paper towels.
- Allow to cool.
Step 1: Preparing the filling (“konducho”) for meat burekas:
Below is a summarized photographic step for making a popular Rhodesli “comida” of meat burekas.
On the right column is the recipe and instructions.
1. Ingredients for the filling: ground meat, onions, oil, rice, parsley, egg and tomato sauce
2. Adding meat to the sautéed onions.
3. Adding tomato sauce to the meat and onion mixture.
4. Adding rice to the mixture.
5. Adding parsley and egg to the mixture.
6. Final appearance of the meat filling.
Step 2: Dough process for the meat burekas:
The following are the steps to combine the meat filling (“konducho”) with the dough of the bureka:
7. Ingredients for bureka dough, utensils and kneeding.
8. Dividing dough with scooper and shaping into ball forms by rolling in hands.
9. Rolling balls of dough into oval shapes.
10. Scooping meat mixture onto flattened oval dough shapes.
11. Folding dough over meat mixture into half-circle bureka shape. Pinching and folding the edge of the bureka.
12. Placing meat burekas onto baking pan. Brushing egg wash and sprinkling burekas with sesame seeds.